The Alverno Health Care Facility was the first organization in Clinton, Iowa, dedicated to caring for the community’s elderly population.
The Sisters of St. Francis of Clinton, Iowa opened the original facility, Mount Alverno, in 1914. The facility was named after Saint Francis’ mountain retreat of La Verna near Assisi.
At the time, it was the only retirement/nursing facility in Clinton County. By the late 1960s, the Sisters decided to build a new facility. The new building (still in use today) was built at 849 13th Avenue North in Clinton. When the new building opened on January 21, 1971, the name was changed to The Alverno Health Care Facility and it was licensed for 125 residents.
Over the years, the occupancy steadily increased. With the change in health care needs within the community, The Alverno shifted its emphasis from a retirement/nursing home to providing complex nursing care for individuals who were sub-acutely and chronically ill.
Today, The Alverno continues to serve Clinton and its surrounding communities. In addition to providing wonderful long-term care and dementia care, The Alverno is able to provide rehabilitation and skilled nursing care to those looking to recover from injury or illness prior to returning to their homes.
Visit the Sisters of St. Francis Website by clicking here.
The Alverno’s Mission Statement
As a visible witness to Christ’s healing mission,
Respect for the dignity and self-worth of residents and staff members,
Alverno Fast Facts:
|©2008 The Alverno Health Care Facility • 849 13th Ave N, Clinton, IA 52732 • (563) 242-1521 • Fax: (563) 243-3016 • firstname.lastname@example.org|